Thursday, April 24, 2008

Not Too Close

This morning I am leaving Sydney to work in a parish in western New South Wales. I'll be serving as a spiritual guide to parishioners who are doing a retreat in their everyday life. I know very little about the parish or the job, really, but I'm excited to go there.

But I've learned one great thing about the location:

When our director asked us what we wanted in terms of a location for this experiment, I said, send me somewhere far removed from the big cities. The outback, the desert -- cast me out as far as you can. You'd think I wanted to get the heck out of here, wouldn't you? Anything but the truth.

But it reminds me of the way I chose a college. As a senior in high school, I would not look for university studies at any school in the state of Illinois. Why? Because I wanted to be away from home, wanted to spread my wings, have a life of my own, etc etc teen identity-formation blah blah blah. In state was by definition "close"; out of state was "far away".

So, Loyola U. Chicago -- out. University of Illinois -- out. Northwestern -- out. I went instead to Marquette. It was in Wisconsin, therefore it was away.

Two years later, my brother started school. He did his first year at Illinois State. A 7 hour drive from our home (I think).

The trip from Marquette to our front door -- 90 minutes. A reality I learned quite profoundly one Saturday morning my freshman year when my mother did not like the 'tude I was giving her on the phone, and said to me, I am coming up to see you RIGHT NOW.

And she did.

Our perceptions, they can be deceiving.


This is not a photograph of that visit.


So anyway, my director says, I'm sending you to Cobar. Now: if you look on a map, Cobar doesn't look that far from Sydney.



Look at it. It's just down the street from Sydney. Actually, it's eight hours drive, but STILL. Look at it.

The thing was -- and I'm just realizing how little I've learned since college as I'm literally writing this very sentence -- it's in the same state. (Truly, THAT bothered me.) And so I had this disappointment that it probably wouldn't be the sort of experience I had hoped for.

Then, I ran into other Australian Jesuits, city folk. Where are you going for experiment, they asked. "Cobar." And they all responded the same way: "Cobar? Really?" Suffice it to say, they agreed, it's definitely in the outback.

So: I can't tell you what the town looks like or how I'll fill my days exactly, but I know this: it's pretty remote. Hurray!

I don't know what my internet abilities will be like, but I'll try to post when I can. We still haven't talked about kangaroos! (Think a deer with an 8 foot vertical.)

2 comments:

remas haytham said...

تنظيف واجهات حجر بمكة
شركة نقل عفش في مكة
تنظيف شقق بمكة
شركات النظافة بمكة
شركات تلميع السيراميك بمكة
جلي بلاط بمكة
شركة تنظيف مسابح بمكة
شركة صيانة مسابح بمكة
تنظيف الخزانات بمكة
عزل خزانات بمكة
عزل اسطح بمكة
تنظيف موكيت مكة
تنظيف سجاد بمكة
شركة شراء اثاث مستعمل بالرياض
شركات كشف تسريبات الخزانات بمكة

alfarida.net@gmail.com said...

جلى بلاط ورخام بمكة - عبير مكة - -0508034442

شركة جلى رخام وبلاط بمكة اذا كنت ممامن يجدون صعوبة فى تنظيف السيراميك او البلاط او الرخام او تنظيف اى بقع قد تتواجد على الارضية او بقا اسمنتية او دهانات
جلى رخام بمعلمين سوريين بمكة
اسعار جلي البلاط في مكة
اسعار جلي الرخام بمكة
شركة جلي بلاط بمكة
جلي رخام بمكة
اسعار جلي البلاط في مكة
اسعار جلى السيراميك بمكة
جلى بلاط ورخام بمكة
شركة جلى بلاط رخام بمكة
جلى بلاط بمكة
هنا

http://abeermakah.com/%D8%AC%D9%84%D9%89-%D8%A8%D9%84%D8%A7%D8%B7-%D9%88%D8%B1%D8%AE%D8%A7%D9%85-%D8%A8%D9%85%D9%83%D8%A9/