Monday, October 5, 2009

Don't You Talk to Me That Way

At the end of the day today I called a good friend, and kvetched and complained for about 20 blocks -- I measure phone calls now in terms of blocks walked while talking, rather than minutes. Then I hung up...and felt as though I had just vomited all over upper Manhattan.

Now I know, that would put me in an elite group of about 16 million living. But still, it was a nasty feeling. Talking in person or by land line it seems like I say somehow less. A certain anything-goes let-your-hair-down-and-tell-it-like-it-is freedom/ok, rabidness seems to take over when discussing problems on a mobile phone.

And so I've begun to wonder whether talking on a cell phone is like karaoke at a bar on a Friday night -- your performance is likely to be remembered for its volume, its solipsism and its lack of inhibition, and not its quality.

Discuss.

No comments: