Tuesday, January 19, 2010

It Takes a Steady Hand...

Not much time to blog today. But let me ask you something -- is it me, or when the priest pours the water into the wine during the preparation of the gifts -- oftentimes, he's mumbling something, too, doesn't it sometimes look like he's mixing a magic potion, or alternatively like he's doing some sort of very precise experiment? And if he's not careful, if he pours just a hair too much water, then...


I've seen it happen. Mass wine -- very unstable. (Especially when you cut it with hydroglycerin.)

More on this tomorrow.

3 comments:

KenerationX said...

Eucharistic alchemy baby.

Jim McDermott, SJ said...

Exactly. Kablooey!

Michelle said...

The chemist in me loves this image! The American Sign Language sign for science looks very much like this gesture at the altar -- something I'd never thought of before (I'm not quite sure I should say thanks for that insight....)