Monday, January 3, 2011

Making Your New Year Happy

Happy New Year. I hope your holidays have been great and filled with all different kinds of rejoicing!

Yesterday I was at Mass and heard this most interesting story: recently a social scientist wondered what it is above all that people need to be happy. If you could narrow it down to just one thing, he asked, the most important thing, what would it be? 

What would you guess might be the most important thing people need for happiness?  

Some might say security.  Some might say food and shelter.  Some might say education.  

But it turns out, according to this scientist's research, the most important factor in a person's happiness is vulnerability.  True story: the more a person allows themselves to be vulnerable, takes risks, steps outside their comfort zone, the happier they tend to be. 

An interesting thought for your New Year...

I'm going to start posting again starting next week, probably 2 or 3 days a week. This year in Ordinary Time, Luke is the gospel du jour, so I think I'm going to write a couple times a week about what's up in Luke, little reflections that might be helpful.  And once a week I'm going to do a little pop culture and spirituality commentary.  We'll see how it goes!

Go out there and get vulnerable! (Or I guess you could say, go out there and expose yourself!)



2 comments:

Larks3@aol.com said...

Jim,
Delighted that you will be posting here regularly -- THANKS!

Feel like I am jumping into "vulnerability pool" with two feet. :)

Jim McDermott, SJ said...

Go for it!