Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Charlie Sheen

So apparently this is my pop culture week, rather than a Scripture week.  I'll try to get us back to Matthew on Friday.

I generally detest the way the media deals with public figures having breakdowns.  I think they revel in it far too much, and show far too little concern for the actual human being behind the drama.

Someone on Vyou asked me what I thought about Charlie Sheen.  If you're interested, here's my two cents on the whole thing...

         

I made the poll this week about celebrities going crazy. Be sure to put in your two cents. 

4 comments:

Jason said...

Someone in the media agrees with you about the media reveling in celebrity breakdowns:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-onthemedia-20110302,0,7190708.column

M Russell said...

I have stopped watching Charlie Sheen's "meltdowns". I find them quite frightening. I think for anyone who has been around mental illness, you can see in his eyes that something is not quite right. Growing up around family members who had serious alcohol problems, I learned when and from whom I needed to hide...I hope and pray he can get some good help.

Lauren said...

Agreed. It's hard to watch someone decompensate and even worse when it's in front of such a huge audience. As someone who works in mental health, it's clean the guy needs help (similar to Mel Gibson and Britney Spears). Sadly, there are so many people who benefit financially from the breakdown, they don't get the help for a while.

rustyrusticator said...

I work in mental health also; well, psychiatry, anyways, which doesn't really address the "health" part. It's a sad commentary when schaudenfreund masquerades as "entertainment." It isn't funny, it isn't cute; it's just plain sick.

If this guy were the alcohol abuser down the street, you would never hear about the meltdowns. Charlie, Britney, and Mel are just high-zoot versions of the same. May God help them all.