Thursday, May 5, 2011

First Communion


This weekend my niece Erin will receive her first communion, and I'll have the privilege of giving it her.  I am very much looking forward to the occasion, both for her and for me.  It's one of the things I've learned again and again from special occasions in the Church -- even when you think you know them, they have the potential to reveal something new and unexpected.  At the Easter Vigil I heard the story of Genesis read by a child, and it was like a whole new story.  Saturday I'll see communion received by children, and I bet that will make it new, too.  I'll let you know what I see.

About five months ago I got set up on vyou.com, which is an online video Q&A service.  People write you questions, you offer short answers.  And a couple times now people have made comments about transubstantiation -- do you really believe the elements are turned into the body and blood of Jesus, what does that mean, etc.  And it's funny, after years of theology I certainly can offer a theological take on the eucharist, but that doesn't really get to the heart of the question of why or how anyone would believe this to be the case.

In general I pride myself on embracing these sorts of questions, but when it comes to the Eucharist I must admit I never really wonder or doubt too much.  It's not that I have visions of Jesus at the consecration, God knows.  It's just, somehow the receiving of communion breaks me free of my self-absorption, shakes me loose of whatever worries are distracting me and helps me be more present to the God who waits quietly and loves me.

Who knows what an 8 year old will make of the experience. Probably something far more wonderful and profound.  But at the very least  I hope the experience of receiving communion can always help her be more free and more present.








2 comments:

Michelle said...

I companioned a young woman converting a couple of years ago, and the experience of kneeling next to her after she received for the first time was one of great grace. And yeah, I can marshal the theological arugments, but articulating the experience - not so much.

I wonder what Thomas would have said after that encounter with Jesus in the upper room?

Hope it is a wonderful experience for your niece and family!

Luxe Coach Purses said...

Burberry Factory, The North Face Outlet, Coach Outlet, Barbour Outlet, Abercrombie & Fitch Sale, Burberry Outlet, Chanel Outlet Online, Calvin Klein Clothes, Gucci Bags Outlet, Marc Jacobs Handbags, MCM Outlet, Gucci Shoes Outlet, Kate Spade Outlet, Louis Vuitton Outlet, Louis Vuitton Shoes Outlet, Tommy Hilfiger Outlet Store,Michael Kors Outlet Online,Moncler Clearance, North Face Jackets Clearance, North Clearace Outlet, Oakley Sunglaases Factory, Michael Kors Outlet, Prada Shoes Outlet, Polo Outlet Store, Polo Outlet Store, Ralph Lauren T Shirts, Longchamp Outlet, Coach Factory Outlet Online, Barbour Jackets Outlet Online, Beats By Dre Outlet, Ralph Lauren UK, Ugg Boots Outlet, Nike Jordan Shoes,Coach Store OnlineMoncler Jackets Outlet Online, Polo Outlet Online,Salvatore Ferragamo Outlet,Tommy Hilfiger Outlet,North Face Jackets Clearance,Ugg Boots Clearance,Tory Burch Handbag Outlet,Uggs Boots Outlet,Discount Ugg Bootshttp://www.newoutletonlinemall.com/coachoutlet.html
http://www.zxcoachoutlet.com/coachoutletonline.html