Monday, January 30, 2012

Does God Care About Sports?

So it looks like I might do some "Ask a Jesuit" type stuff for that new website that I mentioned last week, "The Jesuit Post".  I thought I might share one of the sample questions that I answered for this week. See what you think... (And hey, if you like this idea, please, post some questions for me to answer. I need material!)


Does God really give a hoot about your local sports team?
                                                                        Signed, T-Blows
In point of fact, God is a really big fan of the Saints. Also the Angels. Duh. For many years this was not evident from their records, but in recent years he has made his feelings more clearly known.

Second answer: I have no idea whether God cares or not. Always be nervous when people tell you definitively that God cares about this but not that. Because seriously, how do they know?

Having said that, I believe God wants people to thrive and be striving to be their best selves. So while I’m not sure he cares what the score is to a given game, it is my belief that God revels in a perfect spiral thrown 80 yards down the field (or for my Aussie friends, a football moved down the field in a flurry of teamwork and seized inside the 50 in an astonishing leap). 

Some theologians have said our own feelings and experiences offer a glimmer of what God feels. If so, it might just be Tebow mania in Heaven after all. 



3 comments:

Robert M.Villa said...

Nice read, I just passed this onto a friend who was doing some research on that. And he actually bought me lunch because I found it for him smile Therefore let me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch!
Specialty Products Company 25480 Upper Control Arm for Toyota 4Runner and FJ - Pair

Abel C.Davis said...

As I website possessor I believe the content matter here is rattling magnificent , appreciate it for your efforts. You should keep it up forever! Best of luck.
Bogs Women's Classic Mid Tuscany Rain Boot

Carol said...

I don't know if God doesn't care about the outcome of a specific game. I once saw a cartoon with a giant hand coming out of a cloud over a football field holding a piece of paper with a play schematic on it, and a quarterback reaching up for it. And the sports announcer said, "Looks like another play coming down for Notre Dame!"

And let's not forget the classic "Hail Mary" pass: I wish she had played for the Bills more often this past season!