Wednesday, September 12, 2012

No More Waiting for Gun Control


Over the summer, I was deeply affected by the gun related deaths in Aurora, Colorado and Wisconsin.  In many parts of the world, including Australia, they simply can't comprehend our resistance to gun control of any kind.  In fact, in 2001 an incident similar to the recurring American story of "armed person walks through a building/town killing people" led Australia, under a conservative leader, to institute strong gun control measures.

I don't know what to do to help the situation. But I do know that I want to help. So, I've started a Facebook group called "No More Waiting for Gun Control" where people can post the stories of people who have been injured or killed by gun related violence.  It's not a place for debate or a place to talk about the perpetrators of violent crime.  I think of it more as an ongoing vigil that tries to let the dead speak a word to us about the way our world should be.

If you're interested, look it up on Facebook.  I also tweet under "popculturpriest" and try to post gun-related stories with the hashtag #nomorewaiting or #nomorewaiting4gc. We also try to go to the Twitter and Facebook accounts of politicians and post stories of gun-related violence from their part of the world.

I have no idea if doing something like this will ever make a difference. It's a work in progress.  If you feel frustrated with the state of things in our country, think about joining us.

No comments: