Monday, November 5, 2012

One Day More

Hope you all get a chance to vote today.  And if you're interested in ridiculous banter and more of my silliness, I'll be tweeting at @popculturpriest a good part of the day (and night).  (Here's one I wrote last night: "Great job to all on a hard fought campaign. Now that it's all over, I hope we can all get along and vote for Barack Obama."  I know, I know, I am a font of wit.)

I remember four years ago very well.  After Obama won Times Square was a mob scene; taxis drove the streets honking, the cabbies waving.  It was like the whole country exhaled, finally. Like we'd all managed to enter the fairy tale we'd been promised.

I can't imagine it'll be like that today, no matter who wins.  I suspect instead it'll feel more like when you've spent months preparing for a huge test, and then it's over. You don't care what happens next, you don't care how you did, you're just glad it's over. Maybe we'll take a long collective nap.

There are worse things...



3 comments:

Carol said...

Yes, when the polls close in our westernmost territories tonight, it will be over. Praise God and all His Saints! I don't think I could tolerate another week of all the mean-spirited mudslinging.

Jason said...

Where I was on election night four years ago, there was wailing and gnashing of teeth. Weird. We were in the same city and yet in two distinct realities.

Jim McDermott, S.J. said...

It's a funny world, Jason. Funny old world!