Monday, December 10, 2012

Advent, Week 2: How to Pray

Found on Facebook: 

A nonbeliever pal asks how to pray, I say imagine in one bright spot all the love you've ever given or received; the luck you've had; talents you inherited (straight teeth, height, great smile, smartness, smart-assness); the french fries, the fried oysters, the chocolate; the moments on wonder, i.e. dancing to "Twist and Shout".... Eliminate (for the sake of this moment) all the bad shit, all doubt, blame, fury, self loathing. Then look at the good stuff and say, simply, Dammit that's good stuff. And acknowledge your fortune. And try to hold your mind on only those parts. As my friend Bob Hass said once, "I think I shall praise it." It's an exercise. I try to do this with what washes over me every day, and it flips my head from dark to light. It's a decent psychological exer ise for the dark minded.

-- Mary Karr, writer

No comments: