Monday, March 10, 2014

Lent Week 1: Letting Your Heart Break



I think when you come to the spiritual field, if you have a heart, it is sure to be broken. And I think if it is not broken, it is useless. I have always felt that a heart which has never been broken is a useless heart.  I take the example of a taanpura, you know, that instrument for music. Some of the greatest musicians I know, I have known this personally, used to suspend a taanpura from the ceiling, about two feet from the ground, cut the thread so that it falls, and that beautiful thing, that tumdha, is broken. Then, whet it is repaired, that taanpura has the most beautiful tone and sound. Musical instruments have to broken into service like that. That is why we call it ‘breaking into’. Literally, the heart has to break.

                                           Parthasarathi Rajagopalachari 

No comments: